Hot Crab Soufflé
A delicate, light and stunning crab soufflé recipe. A soufflé recipe might sound daunting but is actually simple to prepare and the result is a stunner. Garnish with crab claws for extra effect.
Servings: 6 people
- 175 g crab meat
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 250 ml milk
- 50 g cheese grated
- 4 eggs separated
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 litre soufflé dish (or dish with straight sides) or individual ramekins, buttered.
- Heat oven to 190°C.
- Put the butter, milk and flour into a saucepan over high heat. Stir or whisk continuously until boiling and thickened. Turn heat to low and cook for 1 minute.
- Add S&P, cayenne and cheese. Stir well and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat the eggs yolks, one at a time, into the cheese sauce. Add the crab meat.
- In a separate grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cheese sauce with a metal spoon.
- Fill the dish or each ramekin to just below the top and run the blade of a sharp knife around the edge of the mixture to stop it catching as it rises.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes for large dish or 25-30 minutes for individual ramekins.