Mary’s Buckeye Fudge
“My Mom grew up on a donkey farm in Pickaway County, Ohio, and Buckeye balls are reminiscent of her Thanksgiving on the farm. These are somewhat more elegant”
- 225 g butter
- 800 g castor sugar
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 200 ml water
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g peanut butter
- Chocolate for dipping
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the milk, water, sugar and vanilla extract and stir with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Turn up the heat to simmer, stir constantly.
- When it is approaching the ‘soft ball’ stage, stir in the peanut butter and continue cooking until it reaches the ‘soft ball’ stage.
- Add more peanut butter if desired, but a nice roasted peanut butter will give a perfect depth of flavour.
- When ready, pull off the heat.
- Stir vigorously until it thickens and reaches the required consistency – thick and sandy.
- Sit the base of the saucepan into a sink of cold water to stop the cooking.
- Pour into a Swiss roll tin and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Allow to cool then cut into squares before getting completely cold.
- Dip in melted chocolate.