Meringue à la Reine
Said to be a favourite of Marie Antoinette, these meringue boats would make a luxurious dessert for Christmas. Save the egg yolks to make the Lobster Newburg
- 3 egg whites
- 75 g granulated sugar
- 75 g caster sugar
- 25 g lightly toasted nibbed almonds
- 300 ml cream
- 3 tbsps sweet sherry
- 3 tbsps orange juice
- Crystallised fruit to garnish optional
- Pre-heat oven to 140C, Gas 1.
- In a warm, dry, grease free bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Add the granulated sugar and continue to whisk for a further 2 minutes until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold in the caster sugar and almonds.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a 1cms rosette nozzle.
- Pipe out 6 boat shapes about 6-8cms in length onto a lighltly floured baking sheet.
- Bake in centre of oven for 1½-2 hours until turned lighltly beige.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whip the cream and stir in the sherry and orange juice.
- Fill the hollows in the boats with the cream mixture.
- Garnish with crystallised fruit.