Mini Cheese Scones with Chilli Jam and Ardsallagh Goats Cheese
This zingy Chilli Jam is great with everything from fried eggs to cold meat. Terrific on a piece of chicken breast or fish or spread on bruschetta with goat’s cheese and rocket leaves.
- Sterilised Jars
- 175 g Self raising flour
- 25 g butter cubed
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp milk
- Pinch salt
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 50 g Cheddar grated
- 25 g Parmesan grated
- 1 kg very ripe tomatoes
- 4-8 red chillies
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 5 cm piece of fresh ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 50 ml fish sauce Nam Pla
- 500 g golden castor sugar
- 200 ml red wine vinegar
- Ardsallagh Goats Cheese or another soft goats cheese
- Peel the tomatoes and chop into 1cm dice.
- Purée the chillies, garlic, ginger and fish sauce in a blender.
- Put the purée, sugar and vinegar into a stainless steel saucepan, add the tomatoes and bring to the boil slowly, stirring occasionally.
- Cook gently for 30-40 minutes, stirring every now and then to prevent sticking.
- When cooked pour into warmed, sterilized glass jars.
- Allow to cool.
- Store in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C
- Rub the butter into the sieved flour in a bowl until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add in the grated cheese, mustard and cayenne.
- Next, add the egg and milk mixture, holding back a little so the mixture doesn’t get too wet.
- Mix quickly with your hands until the mixture comes together.
- Tip out onto a floured surface.
- Roll out to approx. 1cm deep, cut with small round cutter (they should be bitesize for this recipe).
- Arrange on a baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Cut open and add a blob of soft goats cheese and chilli jam.